40000BP Aboriginal people lived in harmony with the environment in this region. Kiarna is an Aboriginal word with a wide variety of translations including the place whew the " makes noise, plenty of food, good fishing ground, or fish caught off rocks. Another suggestion is that Kiama was derived from the word Kiarmai which meant "fertile district".
1770 Captain Cook sailed up this coastline. Passed Kiama April 23.
1797 George Bass on voyage of exploration anchors whaleboat in Kiama. Blowhole discovered
1802 Colonial Government forbids the cutting down of Cedar Trees
1813 Shipments of cedar continue to arrive at Sydney wharf.
1817 Small sailing vessel Hawkesbury Packet wrecked
1805 Drought in the city of Cumberland. Charles Throsby, with the help of Aborigines explored a route to the coast, and brought cattle down to the Illawarra.
1816 First land grants in the Illawarra.
1819 Surveyor-General John Oxley carried out a survey of the Kiama coast.
1820 Governor Macquarie withdrew his recommendation for a settlement at Jervis Bay.
Alexander Berry asked for and received a grant of 10,1000 acres of land in Berry area. Intension to harvest cedar.
1821 First White settler David Smith
Governor Macquarie toured the Illawarra.
1820-48 Initially boats on arriving at the port anchored in the open bay and passengers and cargo where then carried ashore in dinghies. However in heavy seas and strong winds the harbour became very dangerous and on some occasions boats had to wait two or three weeks before entering or leaving.
1825 Law passed to further protect cedar - written permission now required.
1826 Cedar being exported.
Military, 40th Regiment plus two constables, sent to Illawarra to maintain law and order.
1826 The area for the township of Kiama was reserved.
Michael Hindmarsh took up grant in the Kiama region, 'Alne Bank'.
1827 Surveyor Elliott instructed to draw up plans for a village by Governor Darling.
1828 Robert Hoddle, Surveyor, contracted to find an access road from Bong Bong to the Illawarra - a bridle path only.
1829 Barracks erected in Kiama to service a military prescence.
1830 Land grants given to selected settlers in this decade.
Surveyor Jacques surveyed for a town..
1833 Kiama boasted nine permanent residences.
1839 Township proclaimed
1848 Mooring chains laid across the bay
1829 First Surveyor Knapp followed by 1830 Hoddle 1831 Jacques
1828 First Postmaster George Hindmarsh
1830 Hoddle Track reaches Kiama
1833-36 First C. of E. services held by Rev. F. Wilkinson
1837 First Inn - Gum Tree Inn Home of David Smith (Beehive
1838 First Postmaster George Hindmarsh
1838 town plan was drawn up 1839 proclaimed
1840 First sale of land in Kiama
1841 Postal services commenced. Mails brought twice weeks from Sydney by horseback rider.
1845-49 Toll bar operates - Jamberoo Rd
1847 First steamer to visit Kiama Tamar
First Local Magistrates James M. Gray Dr. Robert Menzies
1848 Waugh-Hope cottage built.
1848 First Kiama Agricultural and Horticultural Society formed. Show President James McArthur
Presbyterian Church opened.
1849 Town Jetty built. Later destroyed by large seas.
First Kiama Agricultural and Horticultural Society Show.
Wesleyan Chapel opened.
1851 Wreck of Twin Sisters. Ketch carrying wheat
1853 The Kiama Steam Navigation Company formed by locals.
Private schools emerging
1854 Presbyterian Church, Kiama. Built
1855 Paddle steamer 'Kiama' arrives
1856 First C. of E res. Minister after church built Rev. Beamish
Butter exdhibited at the Kiama Agricultural Show.
Burbank Steam Flour Mill built.
1856 Wreck of ketch Neptune
1855 First Wesleyan Sun. School Supt. David McDonald
First Wesleyan Res. Minister, Rev. Hans Mack
1857 onwards Stone fence builder Thomas Newing
1858 Kiama Examiner (the first local paper) commences publication
1859-61 First Mayor James Colley
1859-61 First Town Clerk James Po'ulton
The first 9 Alderman
James Colley John Sharpe Joseph Pike John Hukins John Colley John Hanrahan Joseph Blow Robert Miller James Robinson
1860 Horse racing Bombo Beach.
1863 Kiama INdependent commence publication on 7th July with Joseph Weston as editor.
1864 A milking machine, Alfa Laval, introduced to a farm and experiment not popular with farmers.
A flour mill opened in Terralong Street.
Petition to the government for the expansion of harbour works
1865 Wreck of schooner Spec,
1860's late Pike's Hill cutting was completed.
1870 Samples of blue metal sent to Sydney in hope it could be used for road construction.
Kiama Independent gave support to the issue of a federation of states.
Henry Parks nominated to represent Kiama electorate.
First bridge over Minnamurra River.
1870 Rangoon driven ashore at Minnamurra
1872 Timber bridge Minnamurra opened
1874 Mt. Vernon, built
1876 Robinson Basin (harbour) opened
1876 Temperance Hall now Masonic Lodge
1877 Ladies baths built
1877 Monkey Flat Races commence
1879 Norfolk Island Pines planted.
1883 Wreck of Nile. Carrying blue metal
First Soldier killed in action Robert Weir
1887 The Cottage Hospital.
1888 Men's Baths- Rock Pool completed.
Direct railway line from Bombo (Kiama) ro Sydney opened
1892 Tennis commences at Blowhole Point
1893 December 26th Minnamurra River Tragedy
1898 Presbyterian Church, Kiama Spire added
1899 Terralong Street fires destroy most of the main street.
1915 Council Chambers
1929 Thomas Newing Died:
1929 Dion's Bus Service - first passengers.