Manning Street To Walk Index
The Old Council Chambers
This building has not changed much over the years.
Premises now in use by Westpac Bank in Kiama were erected in 1887 by The City Bank, which opened its branch in 1874. Later as the City Bank of Sydney, it amalgamated with The Australia Bank of Commerce Limited which in turn amalgamated with the Bank of New South Wales in 1931.
A feature of the bank building is the cement scrollwork on the facade. The figurehead above the portico is believed to be a portrayal by Italian workmen of George Thornton, President of the City Bank 1885-1888.
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney is now home to the Kiama Independent, the local newspaper that is responsible for many of the pictures on record in The Pilot's Cottage.
Just up from the old Council Chambers is one of the oldest buildings that started as Major's Store, was taken over by the ES&A Bank snf then the ANZ Bank. It is now in private hands.
On the next corner: the historic Grand Hotel. If it time for a drink you'll be made very welcome.
Walk back down the hill and turn right at the roundabout.
To Walk Index